On 23 February 1820 a plot to murder all the British cabinet ministers was exposed in what has become known as the Cato Street Conspiracy. The name arises from the meeting place near Edgware Road, London the conspirators used. The plot, to murder all the British cabinet ministers and the Prime Minister Lord Liverpool, was uncovered by police who had an informer within the grouop. The plotters fell into a police trap and 13 were arrested, while one policeman was killed.
Of the 13 arrested, five conspirators were sentenced to death for high treason, and five others were transported to Australia. On the morning of 1 May 1820, in front of a crowd of many thousands at Newgate Prison, the five people sentenced for execution were hung and the bodies then mutilated, the last people in Britain to be hanged, drawn and quartered.
On this day in London history.
The following is a list of events we have compiled for London’s history during the month of February.
- 1327 Edward III crowned at Westminster Abbey | 1953 North Sea floods | 2013 Shard skyscraper is opened to the public |
- 1901 Funeral of Queen Victoria in Windsor | 2020 Streatham terrorist attack |
- 1555 John Rogers burned at Smithfield | 1848 Henry Ducker fatally shot in Birdcage Walk |
- 1991 Downing Street mortar attack |
- 1952 Elizabeth II Accession Declaration |
- 1996 Docklands bomb |
- 1840 Queen Victoria marries Prince Albert at St James’s Palace |
- 1970 Gale Parsons found dead |
- 1554 Lady Jane Grey executed at the Tower | 1814 Customs House destroyed by fire |
- 1542 Catherine Howard beheaded at the Tower |
- 1852 Great Ormond Street Hospital opens |
- 1748 Birth of Jeremy Bentham in Houndsditch | 1952 George VI funeral procession | 1986 Printers and police clash in Wapping | 2020 Death of Caroline Flack |
- 1824 First meeting of the Athenaeum Club |
- 1930 Ruth Rendell born in South Woodford | 2003 Congestion Charge introduced |
- 1478 Death of George Plantagenet at the Tower | 1756 HMS Royal George launched at Woolwich Dockyard | 1996 London bus bomb | 1998 Prescott soaked at Brit Awards |
- 1961 Belgian embassy clashes | 1961 Justin Fashanu born in Hackney | 1985 EastEnders first broadcast | 1996 Jarvis Cocker stage protest at Brit Awards |
- 1547 Edward VI crowned at Westminster Abbey | 1860 Tottenham station derailment |
- 1997 ‘Bridgewater Three’ freed at Court of Appeal |
- 1511 Death of Henry, Duke of Cornwall at Richmond Palace | 1864 Flowerly Land pirates executed at Newgate | 1875 Death of Charles Lyell in Harley Street |
- 1633 Samuel Pepys born | 1820 Cato Street Conspiracy |
- 1809 Third Theatre Royal Drury Lane destroyed | 1920 First woman MP speaks in Commons | 1923 Flying Scotsman enters service with LNER |
- 1899 Harrow car trial accident | 2015 Madonna tumbles at Brit Awards |
- 1552 Thomas Arundell executed at Tower Hill | 1975 PC Stephen Tibble murdered |
- 1993 Camden Town bombing |
- 1975 Moorgate Tube crash |